POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Associating files with PovRay : Re: Associating files with PovRay Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Associating files with PovRay
From: omniVERSE
Date: 2 Dec 1999 12:06:21
Message: <3846a70d@news.povray.org>
Since there is a *.txt extension listed already you could replace that with
*.mcr for example.  Unfortunately only this one choice possible because you
would want to leave the others (*.pov,*.inc,*.ini) alone.
To do it you need to open pvengine.exe with the older write.exe program from
Win3.1 (Write, not Wordpad) and choose to not convert instead of convert so
as to leave the source as is.  Then search and replace all the relevent
.txt (and/or .TXT) extensions with the wanted extension, taking care to not
do any other changes (capitalization, spacing, etc. for exact replacement of
characters).
Then the FileType association procedure could be done, not sure of this
going as planned though since the editor still has to deal with it somehow.
However that should get the Windows version of POV-Ray to at least do a
File/Open... of whatever extension you would be browsing for.
I'm going to go make this change myself now and check it out, will let you
know how it went.

Bob